Visit the Greene Land Trust Maps to see the Natural Resource Maps of Greene County.
Some 12,000 years ago, Paleoindian groups hunted caribou on the lands that later became the Town of Coxsackie. They mined and worked the high-quality chert they found here into flint tools and weapons, using pits, quarries, workshops, and camps that are still being found today. Later Coxsackie was settled by an Algonquin tribe inhabiting the upper Hudson River Valley. Like the Paleoindian peoples before them, this tribe also mined and worked toolstone.
Flint Mine Hill, located approximately 800 ft. from the Hecate plant, was one of the most active mining sites in the region; flint tools and weapons from the mines have been found in several northeastern states, and artifacts are scattered throughout the area, particularly in the vicinity of Flint Mine Hill. The word “Coxsackie” derives from an Algonquian term to which several means have been attributed, the most common being “place of owls” and “owl’s hoot.”
The first European settlers arrived in this area over 350 years ago, when Pieter Bronck purchased land from the Katskill Indians and built a farmstead in what is now West Coxsackie. The original farmstead house remains one of the oldest houses in upstate New York and is now a museum included on a tour of U.S. National Historic Landmark structures (Greene County Historical Society).
Coxsackie formed a town government in 1772 and formally became a town in 1788. Coxsackie gradually developed from a farming community into a thriving modern town featuring a historical downtown district; in recent years the town has become home to four wedding venues who contribute actively to the town’s economy and character. Today agriculture remains an essential component of community life due to the productive soil found in some flat areas of the town, and to the beautiful views enjoyed by tourists and locals alike.
A partial listing of regional resources promoting
agriculture in our region.